The Partnership for the National Trails System (PNTS) is a 501(c)(3) that connects member not-for-profit trail organizations and Federal agency partners to further the protection, completion, and stewardship of the 30 National Scenic and Historic Trails within the National Trails System.
The PNTS advocates on behalf of the National Trails System as a whole for land preservation and stewardship resources. Other major roles of the PNTS include the collection and dissemination of National Trails news and the development of outreach initiatives and youth programming.
Since 1997, the Partnership has embodied the collaboration of the National Trails System Act and has advocated for the trails. The Partnership continues to seek new partnerships and relationships both within and outside the trails community to foster a strong National Trail System well-connected to communities, businesses, and civic groups.
To empower, inspire and strengthen public and private partners to develop, preserve, promote and sustain the National Scenic and Historic Trails.
PNTS envisions a world-class system of National Scenic and Historic Trails that preserves natural and cultural values and provides recreational benefits for all.
The purpose of PNTS is to promote and support the efforts of National Scenic and Historic Trail organizations, to secure public and private resources and to serve as a collective voice for policy and action that supports National Scenic and Historic Trails.
Who We Are
The Partnership for the National Trails System (PNTS) is the only nationwide, nonprofit organization dedicated to promoting the extraordinary value of America’s National Scenic and Historic Trails. We do so by providing the private partners associated with each trail with resources to enhance their advocacy, professional trail skill sets, volunteer engagement, and nurturing of future conservationists.
What We Do
- Advocate for Federal agency policy and legislation that preserves America’s natural and historic heritage.
- Create trails of opportunity for all to explore our natural and historic heritage throughout America.
- Introduce young people through a variety of programs to the natural grandeur of America and inspiring episodes of our history.
- Engage diverse populations so that all Americans are included and welcomed to enjoy our premier long-distance trails.
- Promote healthful outdoor recreation and appreciation of cultural, historic, natural, and scenic values and resources.
- Conserve remarkable natural, cultural, scenic, and historic resources and places.
- Celebrate pathways across America and through our history.