The Partnership for the National Trails System offers several ways for organizations and individuals to get involved and support our work, including applying to become a member or giving an annual financial donation to become a supporter. Join us today!
Regular Organization Members of the PNTS are organizations that exist and have as their mission or purpose to develop, protect, interpret, and sustain one or more national scenic or historic trail. They usually are the primary long-term private sector partners of the Federal agencies in the ongoing management of one or more national scenic or historic trail.
Affiliate Organization Members of the PNTS are organizations that support the work of the Partnership or support some sort of management, advocacy, or other work that helps sustain portions of one or more national scenic or historic trails. They usually have either a broader mission or focus than just the National Trails System or their area of activity encompasses only part of a national scenic or historic trail.
Supporters of the PNTS are individuals and organizations interested in furthering the work of the Partnership by providing annual financial support. PNTS launched its Supporter Program in 2018.
Learn more about us here!
Affiliate members support the national scenic and historic trails by working collaboratively with or by volunteering their services to the Partnership for the National Trails System (PNTS). There is an application process for each of the three categories of affiliate membership:
Affiliate membership is open to nonprofit organizations that meet one or more of the following criteria but do not meet the requirements for regular membership in PNTS:
a. Organizations that collaborate with PNTS on national issues or projects benefiting the National Trails System.
b. Organizations that support and promote one or more of the national scenic or historic trails in the National Trails System as a substantial part of their mission.
c. Organizations whose purpose is to support a trail that is seeking designation as a national scenic or historic trail.
Affiliate membership is open to State, Local, and Tribal agencies that provide substantial support for one or more of the national scenic or historic trails in the National Trails System.
Individual Professional Affiliates
Affiliate membership is open to individuals with specialized expertise in one or more fields related to the work of the PNTS who support the work of the PNTS by volunteering their services.
Benefits of Affiliate Membership
- Pathways magazine free to organization leaders (1 hard copy and via web)
- Monthly webinars free to organization members (1 per organization)
- Participation in PNTS committees
- Reduced fees for trainings and workshops* ($25 discount, max 1)
- Inclusion in PNTS advocacy work
* effective January 1, 2019
How to Apply
To apply for an affiliate membership (fee of $250*), you may choose to fill out this online form or complete this downloadable form and email to email@example.com or mail to Partnership for the National Trails System, 304 E. Wilson St. Lower Level, Madison, WI 53703.
* Submission of an application does not represent acceptance. Applications will be reviewed and voted upon by the PNTS Trail Leaders Council in no more than 120 days. Do not include payment with this application.
The Partnership for the National Trails System launched a Supporter Program in 2018 for organizations and individuals interested in furthering the work of the PNTS by providing financial support. Support and appreciation for outdoor recreation, conservation, clean air and water, responsible outdoor ethics, and accessibility are central to the Partnership’s work. Your financial support leverages and raises the Partnership’s voice at the local, regional, and national level.
May we count on your annual support to ensure the future of America’s great scenic and historic trails?
Benefits of the Supporter Program
- The confidence that you are joining fellow, fair-minded supporters of conservation, land protection, and trails.
- A one-year subscription to Pathways Across America magazine (electronic or hard copy).
- Invitations to national, regional, and local events.
- Possible discounts on PNTS biennial trainings, webinars, and special events. (Important note: This would exclude PNTS scenic and historic trail-specific workshops.)
- Tax deduction opportunity.
- Recognition in PNTS annual report.
*Includes discounted fees for trainings, workshops, webinars, and special events, and copy of PNTS annual report.
$25,000 and up – President’s Circle*
$10,000-$24,999 – Guardian of Trails*
$5,000-$9,999 – Benefactor of Trails*
$2,500-$4,999 – Caretaker of Trails*
$1,000-$2,499 – Protector of Trails*
$500-$999 – Steward of Trails
$250-$499 – Advocate for Trails
$100-$249 – Trail Builder
$50 – Supporter of Trails (in honor of the 50th Anniversary of the National Trails System Act)