2018 is the 50th Anniversary of the National Trails System Act and we want you to be a part of the commemoration!
In his 1965 “Natural Beauty Message” to Congress, President Lyndon B. Johnson inspired a national “system of trails” for the American people. Congress passed the National Trails System Act, signed into law by President Johnson on October 2, 1968.
Today, the National Trails System (NTS) includes 11 National Scenic Trails and 19 National Historic Trails authorized by Congress, and more than 1,200 National Recreation Trails (including 21 National Water Trails). Preservation and development of Rail Trails is also fostered in this act.
These trails provide outdoor recreation opportunities, promote resource preservation and public access, and encourage the appreciation of the great outdoors and America’s history and cultural diversity.
Here are some of the ways you can show support for the national trails during this special anniversary:
- Purchase and wear 50th Anniversary merchandise
- Organize 50th Anniversary celebrations along the trails and add to the event map
- Attend the National Trails System Conference October 22-25, 2018 in Vancouver
- Contribute a tax-deductible donation to PNTS
- Share your trail story
- Sign up for the 50th Anniversary e-News
- Participate in the Trails 50th Anniversary Photo Contest