The Partnership for the National Trails System offers several ways for organizations to get involved and support our work, including applying to become a member or giving an annual financial donation to become a supporter. Join us today!
Trail Organization Members of the PNTS are organizations that exist and have as their mission or purpose to develop, protect, interpret, and sustain one or more national scenic or historic trail. They usually are the primary long-term private sector partners of the Federal agencies in the ongoing management of one or more national scenic or historic trail.
Affiliate Organization Members of the PNTS are organizations that support the work of the Partnership or support some sort of management, advocacy, or other work that helps sustain portions of one or more national scenic or historic trails. They usually have either a broader mission or focus than just the National Trails System or their area of activity encompasses only part of a national scenic or historic trail.
Organizations and individuals can also become Supporters of the PNTS and receive several benefits by providing annual financial support!
Affiliate members support the national scenic and historic trails by working collaboratively with or by volunteering their services to the Partnership for the National Trails System (PNTS). There is an application process for each of the three categories of affiliate membership:
Affiliate membership is open to nonprofit organizations that meet one or more of the following criteria but do not meet the requirements for regular membership in PNTS:
- Organizations that collaborate with PNTS on national issues or projects benefiting the National Trails System.
- Organizations that support and promote one or more of the national scenic or historic trails in the National Trails System as a substantial part of their mission.
- Organizations whose purpose is to support a trail that is seeking designation as a national scenic or historic trail.
Affiliate membership is open to State, Local, and Tribal agencies that provide substantial support for one or more of the national scenic or historic trails in the National Trails System.
Individual Professional Affiliates
Affiliate membership is open to individuals with specialized expertise in one or more fields related to the work of the PNTS who support the work of the PNTS by volunteering their services.
Benefits of Affiliate Membership
- Pathways magazine free to organization leaders (1 hard copy and via web)
- Monthly webinars free to organization members (1 per organization)
- Participation in PNTS committees
- Reduced fees for trainings and workshops* ($25 discount, max 1)
- Inclusion in PNTS advocacy work
* effective January 1, 2019
How to Apply
To apply for an affiliate membership (fee of $250*), you may choose to fill out this online form or complete this downloadable form and email to email@example.com or mail to Partnership for the National Trails System, 1615 M St. NW, 2nd Floor, Washington, D.C. 20036.
* Submission of an application does not represent acceptance. Applications will be reviewed and voted upon by the PNTS Trail Leaders Council in no more than 120 days. Do not include payment with this application.