North Country Trail Association (NCTA)
- Website — Developed and launched a new website that better integrates trail and volunteer information.
- Programs — Annual celebration in Marquette, MI was larger than ever with almost 400 attendees; Hike 100 program continued to generate excitement.
- Signage — Made 40 new informational and interpretive panels and installed them along the trail.
- Land — NCTA provided matching funds to a Knowles-Nelson Stewardship grant to help Iron County, WI acquire land that will host the North Country NST through partnerships that protect 100 acres along the Lake Superior Coast; NPS completed the purchase of its first property for the trail, an 80-acre parcel in Michigan that protects over a mile of trail.
- Advocacy — NCTA worked with the Michigan Senate to get congressionally designated trails exempt from recent e-bike legislation.
- Staff — NCTA welcomed Andrea Ketchmark in August 2017 as the organization’s new Executive Director after Bruce Matthews retired; hired two new staff to fill the Director of Trail Development position and add another Administrative Assistant.
- Training — Developed a trail crew leader training curriculum that will be launched in 2018.
Unless otherwise indicated, all material in Pathways Across America is public domain. All views expressed herein are perspectives of individuals working on behalf of the National Trails System and do not necessarily represent the viewpoint of the Federal agencies.