Since 2009, the Partnership for the National Trails System, with the support of its federal partners, has brought next generation attendees to its conferences and workshops. Hailing from across the country, these Trail Apprentices have brought valued perspectives to the trails community. A cornerstone of the program has been attending either the PNTS conference or workshops.
Meet the 2023 Trail Apprentices!
2023 Trail Apprentice Program
PNTS is accepting applications for the 2023 Trail Apprentice Program through February 28, 2023. This year, a small group of diverse applicants aged 18-28 with strong leadership potential and an interest in exploring a career in National Trails will be awarded Trail Apprenticeships.
Trail Apprentices will gain real-world experience by working with PNTS staff and volunteer leaders on topical committees to complete a project and participate in leadership development, career exploration, networking and educational opportunities amongst the National Trails community. They will also receive complimentary admission to attend the 2023 National Trails Workshop organized by PNTS in November 2023 as well as a stipend for travel and expenses.
This is a highly competitive program, and only a small group of applicants will be selected. Not every applicant is guaranteed a spot in the program.
- Applicants must be between the ages of 18–28 with an interest in the National Trails System.
- Applicants must be able to attend committee meetings during the program. Meetings may occur between once a month and once every few months depending on the committee schedule. Meetings are expected to last for approximately one hour each and will be held via video conference (Zoom or MS Teams). Apprentices will need to complete tasks between meetings, and small group meetings may occur between Committee meetings.
- Applicants must be available to attend the program orientation on April 18. Applicants must also be able to attend 3 out of the 5 other planned virtual sessions. (see timeline below for more detailed session date and time information)
- Applicants must be able to commit to developing, completing, and presenting a project with support from PNTS staff and PNTS committee members.
- Applicants must commit to attending in-person sessions at the 2023 National Trails Workshop to be held in Orlando, Florida from November 7th through November 9th, 2023. Travel to and from the event will likely include November 6th and November 10th.
Committee meetings, project tasks, and check-ins with PNTS staff will be ongoing. *Please note that the schedule may be subject to change.
February 28, 2023 at 11:59pm
Candidates will be notified by March 27, 2023
Please reach out to Cara@pnts.org with any questions about the program.
Additional Information & Resources
- National Trails System 101
- Justice, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion resources
- Meet the 2022 Trail Apprentices
- Hear reflections from 2022 Apprentices
- Meet the 2021 PNTS Trail Apprentice cohort
We would like to extend a special thanks to our federal agency partners and for their support of the 2023 Trail Apprentice Program