Since 2009, the Partnership for the National Trails System, with the support of its federal partners, has brought next generation attendees to its conferences and workshops. Hailing from across the country, these Trail Apprentices have brought valued perspectives to the trails community. A cornerstone of the program has been attending either the PNTS conference or workshops.
2023 Trail Apprentice Program
The Partnership for the National Trails System (PNTS) is pleased to announce the 2023 Trail Apprentice Program for emerging leaders aged 18 to 28 years. The PNTS Trail Apprentice Program provides scholarships to young leaders interested in a career in recreation, natural resource management, conservation, environmental studies, history, or a related field, so that they may attend the PNTS National Trails Workshop and participate in leadership development, career exploration, networking and educational opportunities amongst the National Trails community. The 2023 program will begin in April 2023 and end in January 2024.
This year, a small, diverse group of Apprentices will build leadership skills by working with a PNTS committee on a project to advance the work of PNTS. Committee projects may involve developing skills in social media, fundraising, advocacy and policy, event planning, programs, membership, and more. Apprentices will work with PNTS to develop a project that aligns with their interests. Apprentices will provide valuable perspectives to PNTS committee work and leave the program with hands-on experience and a greater knowledge of priority issues in the trails community. Each Apprentice will present their project to the trails community at the end of the program.
In addition to working on a project with a PNTS committee, the program will include orientation to the National Trails System, career exploration and team-building virtual sessions and attendance at the 2023 National Trails Workshop November 7th–November 9th in Orlando, Florida. PNTS will provide workshop registration, lodging, and a per diem for meals to those selected for the program. The workshop offers trainings and skill-building opportunities covering an array of topics important to trails such as management and stewardship, land protection, engagement, policy and advocacy and more. Those selected for the program will be an active part of the workshop dialogue, engaging in sessions and networking amongst the National Scenic and Historic Trail (NSHT) communities as well as many other communities not traditionally associated with the NSHTs.
Top Applicants will be invited for a 15-30 minute interview with PNTS staff. Those accepted will work with PNTS staff and committee chairs to develop a project.
This is a highly competitive program, and only a small group of applicants will be selected. Not every applicant is guaranteed a spot in the program.
- Applicants must be between the ages of 18–28 with an interest in the National Trails System.
- Applicants must be able to attend committee meetings during the program. Meetings may occur between once a month and once every few months depending on the committee schedule. Meetings are expected to last for approximately one hour each and will be held via video conference (Zoom or MS Teams). Apprentices will need to complete tasks between meetings, and small group meetings may occur between Committee meetings.
- Applicants must be available to attend the program orientation on April 18. Applicants must also be able to attend 3 out of the 5 other planned virtual sessions. (see timeline below for more detailed session date and time information)
- Applicants must be able to commit to developing, completing and presenting on a project with support from PNTS staff and PNTS committee members.
- Applicants must commit to attending in-person sessions at the 2023 National Trails Workshop to be held in Orlando, Florida from November 7th through November 9th, 2023. Travel to and from the event will likely include November 6th and November 10th.
Committee meetings, project tasks, and check-ins with PNTS staff will be ongoing. *Please note that the schedule may be subject to change.
February 28, 2023 at 11:59pm
Candidates will be notified by March 27, 2023
Please reach out to Cara@pnts.org with any questions about the program.
Additional Information & Resources
- National Trails System 101
- Justice, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion resources
- Meet the 2022 Trail Apprentices
- Hear reflections from 2022 Apprentices
- Meet the 2021 PNTS Trail Apprentice cohort
We would like to extend a special thanks to our federal agency partners and for their support of the 2023 Trail Apprentice Program